Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Burglar Proof Your Home #2: Landscaping

There's no way for me to totally exclude a burglar from hitting my home or from trying to break into my house. If I can harden the target and make it much more difficult to get in, then thieves are more likely to look for an easier target.

Everybody likes to landscape around their house; I appreciate a nicely landscaped house as well as anyone else. However, we have to be aware of what's going on with our landscaping. Around our windows and doors, we want to have landscaping that doesn’t cover them up and create a potential hiding place for burglars.

You notice that there is shrubbery out by the windows but yet it doesn't totally cover the windows and that in fact it doesn't offer me as a potential burglar a hiding place.
You might think about those types of landscaping plants that offer some sort of thorny type protection for yourself.

Basically what we are doing is not offering a comfortable place for the criminal element to work from. So if I've got to climb up in a thorny rose bush, I'm probably going to look for somewhere else to go.

Take a look at what your landscaping looks like, trim your hedges back as necessary so that you do allow that clean view of those windows themselves.

That way when you do have law enforcement officials riding through doing checks at night they can very simply, with a spot light, see the windows and see those things and we don't offer those hiding places.

Watch all the home safety videos by TEEX Law Enforcement's Kyle McNew:

No comments: